The first half of the Dead Man’s Switch campaign in Return of Shadowrun has you fighting the usual enemies you’d expect, drug dealers, gang members, and a particularly nasty serial killer.
Later in the game, however, you are faced with something totally new – the Real insect spirits. If you are wary of spoilers, turn away now. These enemies are unique in that it looks like you can’t kill them, but that’s not a bug – the only bug is the spirit itself. Here’s how you’ll actually kill these critters.
How to Kill Real Bug Spirits
You will encounter True Insect Spirits twice during the Dead Man’s Switch campaign, both times at the headquarters of the Universal Brotherhood. During the first encounter, you will be attacked by two insects which, upon death, will burst into green spirits completely immune to damage.
You’re not supposed to kill these spirits. The purpose of this fight is to use a Decker to enter the Matrix using the computer at the top of the map to unlock an escape route to the left. Until you can, do whatever you can to survive.
However, on your second visit to the Universal Brotherhood, you will be armed with a new weapon capable of killing True Insect Spirits – Aegis. The game will emphasize the process several times, but for reference:
- The first step to eradicating a true insect spirit is to first break it out of the physical bug it inhabits. Kill an insect and the spirit will emerge in the next round.
- Use your Aegis guns to kill the real insect spirits before they return to their old bodies. If they survive the round, they will resurrect with a decent amount of HP.
During the final mission, the True Insect Spirits will return to their physical bodies after a lap (unless they are prevented from doing so). This means that you will only have one turn to defeat them with the Aegis formula.
Each shot of the Aegis gun deals 13 damage in normal mode and spirits have 40 HP. This means you have to hit a spirit four times to kill it. Aegis guns have an ammo capacity of two, so you’ll need to use at least two characters to drop a spirit in any given turn.
Don’t worry about gun spread – anything that isn’t a true bug spirit is immune to the Aegis formula.
You have three Aegis cannons for this mission:
- One is worn by Harlequinwho is always with you in this mission.
- One is was given to you by Harlequin. You can give it to your player character or to a racer you hire – Coyote, for example.
- One is handled by the Ghost Shot Taingire that you can hire for this mission. It is recommended to do so.
To have the best chance of killing a real insect spirit, you can use the Overwatch ability. After killing the regular bugs with conventional weapons, aim a few Aegis at the corpse with Overwatch. When the Spirit emerges, you should be able to land some nice shots, giving you some leeway in case you miss some shots next turn.
Prioritize Bombadier Bug Removal. They have AoE attacks that can really hurt your crew and it’s a long mission.
NEXT: The Best Tactical Strategy Games For Beginners